The tavern was passed down through generations of the Cooke family. George Cooke, John’s son, eventually took over and lived in the building for 93 years! During the Great War the tavern served meals to the workers at the nearby ball bearing factories. George Cooke died in 1923 and passed the tavern to his niece, Mrs. Nancy Kirkham. In 1934 a great-great-grandson of John Cooke turned the tavern into a full service restaurant. Although it was closed briefly in the 1950s due to a small Thanksgiving-eve fire, it has been a restaurant ever since. Descendants of original owner John Cooke operated Cooke’s Tavern from its beginning until the current owners purchased the building in 1979.
J. Timothy’s is proud to carry on the tavern tradition begun in this building over 225 years ago.
George Cooke outside the tavern.